Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Kick-starting quality for Ubuntu Touch

I wanted to write a post about the excitement of the new platform and the wonderful new challenges we face ahead of us. Now, given that this platform is being written right now from the ground up, those with a nose for quality instantly perk up. We love well tested applications, and developing with tests in mind from the start is much easier than attempting to retrofit. Seeing the first fruits of the developer effort is very exciting -- good work everyone!

So with that in mind, I started looking at some of the excellent work the core apps teams are doing with there applications. They've been working with the design community to turn the nice mockups into reality. I took the liberty of checking out and running some of the first versions of these applications. The calculator is one that stood out to me as already closing in on its specification. So armed with some of the design conversation for the calculator, I started a branch to create a set of manual tests for ubuntu touch applications, starting with the calculator. If you are interested in quality, now is the time to be involved! The applications can all be installed and run on your phone or even a ubuntu desktop.

So what can you do?

If you're a tester;
If you're a developer and have questions on writing tests for your application, feel free to contact me. I would love to see not only nice unit test driven code, but also some end user tests via autopilot, and I want to make sure you as a developer have the resources to do so. In addition, we as a quality community are happy to help test with you and write some manual tests to do so for your application.

I'm helping!


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting.. I've been trying to find the "touch" apps.. I have a Nexus 7 I've dedicated to Ubuntu.

    Is there an app for locking the screen orientation? that seems to be my own biggest issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe so. I would guess this might become a setting or something similar.. Hard to say :-)

      Delete
  2. Will these packages work on an Lenovo x230 running quantal? I would love to assist testing, but it is the only tablet I have access to.
    Thank you,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. moverstr, yes, the ppa has entries for quantal. Feel free to install them, try them out, and then as they mature, contribute some testcases for them. We'll be having actual testing events as the applications mature, but it's a great time to be looking at what's coming (and might I add, fun to see the new platform applications evolve!)

      Delete