Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Would you adopt an ISO?

Would you adopt an ISO? A poor ISO, who cannot otherwise fend for itself in the cruel world of digital information. He's here one day and gone the next. Replaced by newer and better. Would you be willing to love, test, and use him while he is in existence? May his death not be in vain, but rather for the greater good of advancing us closer to that golden iso release to which we will all turn. It's powers we hope will transform our computers into the goodness that is ubuntu precise!

I trust my story has stirred your heart to action! In all seriousness, the ubuntu community is looking for a few brave volunteers to help shepherd our iso's thru the remaining week before release. If you volunteer, we are asking you to run through all of the testcases each day until next week when we release, for a particular iso and report your results to the isotracker. You can see what's required by having a look at this page. That lists the builds for the isos that were created today, each having some tests that help ensure the isos don't contain bugs. It's worth budgeting an hour or two to complete these tests, not including the time you need to download the iso. On Thursday of this week (April 19th 2012), we are scheduled to start the RC image testing which will be a dedicated milestone iso testing, utilizing the same tests.

As an added bonus to sponsoring, I am committing to personally emailing you and following up with help, tips and status updates on iso testing as we go throughout the week. Hurry, this offer won't last forever! To get started, email me personally with your the following info:

  • Your testing hardware (real or virtual machine; amd64 or i386)
  • Your name and email address
  • Optionally, a specific iso(s) you wish to sponsor

I can be reached at nicholas.skaggs at the canonical.com domain. You may also leave a comment on this post, or send a message to the ubuntu-qa mailing list and I will followup with you. After you contact me, I will help you through the adoption process and get you and your new iso off to a wonderful start. Thanks so much for considering making a commitment to ubuntu!

 (If this reads like a "Help save X, donate now!" campaign, then you've read it correctly :-) )

41 comments:

  1. I want to be the guinea pig, Pretty pretty please, with cherries on top.
    natas72716@gmail.com
    Linux/Unix user for over 7 years and counting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to give it a try. send it to my mail, if it is possible. fantasyleague0629@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am already using the 12.04 er beta? have been for a while

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you may be running the development version. This is about helping to create a final iso that will be 'ubuntu precise' when it goes stable and is released. If you want to help with this process, just let me know :-)

      Delete
    2. Of course i would like to help in anyway. My hardware is intel core duo 2.7 ghz proc. 3 gigs ram, amd 6850 graphics...and i dual boot with that (other) operating system....only to play games...otherwise i only use ubuntu 12.04 64 bit. My name is Roger Moore

      Delete
  4. i m interested.

    hiteshbairathi@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. testing hardware: I386 real mashine( laptop ibm T60)
    Email: bobsisf at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or if its for the the final ISO of 21.04 then I will install it on a i386 machine

      Delete
  7. I'm really interested:
    mackieben04@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a lot of different hardware ready to test.
    From AthlonXP, Athlon64 and Atom N270 to i5-530M, with many different Core2Duo CPU, mainly with nVidia GPU.
    Also a bi-Xeon L5345 on a Intel 5000X platform.
    Using Ubuntu since the old 5.05, you can contact me at swatgoss at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Guys, you need to email him...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FYI, I'm also looking thru the comments and emailing those that left info for me to followup. If I miss you, please do send me an email ;-)

      Delete
  10. Interested! x64 real machine. (computer is a low-end product, but it should handle it just fine.)
    turnagecshseast@gmail.com or this one if you can see it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm interesred. Acer 5738g. Virtual machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sufai, I don't have your email -- send me a message and I'll get you hooked up :-)

      Delete
  12. *facepalm*

    can't you guys read? you need to email him! smh ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emailing me is easiest, but I'll watch the comments and contact people who leave contact information here.

      Delete
  13. i'm also interested, ubuntuweeklynews@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I386 IBM T60 siccsudo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Nicholas, I'm greatly interested in this contribution...

    I leave my details here...

    Machine Architecture : real, amd64
    Name : Mahendran Kathirvel
    E-mail : astromahi@gmail.com

    cheers!.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hardware & Arch.: Real, amd64
    Name: Michael Cooke
    Email: Kr3m1in@552industries.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am already using the 12.04 and i interested in this contribution also sir.

    phani.bandaru05@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. buvakaalexey@gmail.com
    i386 (also I have amd64 if you need)
    Alexey

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi I am interested, my email Id : sandeep.pn@gmail.com

    I have also sent a mail yo you with all the information you needed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting ;) Ubuntu 12.04 desktop
    Real: Atom 455 1.6 GHz; 1,0 GB ram; intel 3150.
    Now KUbuntu 12.04 beta1,2 etc
    viha67@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your testing hardware (real or virtual machine; amd64 or i386): Intel i386 , Core 2/3.0Gz
    Your name and email address: Varun Sharda / varun.h1y@in.com

    Thanks
    Varun Sharda

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm interesting/ DualCore 2.6/ATI(AGP) (RV600)/2Gb RAM
    Now: Ubuntu 12.04beta 64bit
    asmelkovs@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I`m interested too. Artem Gvozdik, artyom2040@gmail.com
    Main PC: Phenom 1075T, 4 Gb ram, GTX 560Ti video.
    Netbook: Acer AOD 257, Intel based.
    ISOs: any 32/64-bit arch based, I have no ARM device actually.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello I am interested in this. I have been a linux user for about 15 yrs now. 3 desktop pc's, 1 dual core laptop, 1 dual core netbook. Looking forward to downloading this ISO and testing it out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm linux user above 2 years. Want to test Ubuntu 12.04 (i386 Asus P81IJ)
    Sergey Dmitrenko (Ukraine)
    blackbox.90@mail.ru

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am very interested in testing Ubuntu 12.04 RC for 64bit Gateway laptop in U.S.A

    tundakom@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm linux user above 3 years,I am very interested in testing Ubuntu 12.04 RC for 64 bit laptop (Asus x52j, ATI card), I'm from Chile, sorry for my bad english!

    E-mail: c.marquez.t@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello, I`m interested too. I have been a linux user for about 5 years now. 1 desktop pc dual-core i386 , 1 notebook atom.

    ISOs: 32-bit arch based.

    rubsoft@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete